DARE TO SWIM WITH THE SHARKS-Part 1

Who I be?
DARE TO SWIM WITH THE SHARKS-Part 1
In November 2015, I met with some top guns of a very Big organization at the launch of their New Product in Port Harcourt. They all came in from the Cooperate Headquarters of the Company in Lagos Nigeria. While at the event, In two hours I had to come up with a convincing Idea to make them believe that I AS A CONCERT/SHOW PROMOTER can take their organization to another level above their major competitors .
My Emergency Research proved successful. I discovered that, By End of 2014, They had made a financial Net profit of N9.8 Billion and As at November 2015, They were still stucked at N7.4 Billion. They were 2.4 Billion short of hitting 2014's Mark and surpassing it. They needed in a Miracle in One month.
By Evening, I sat with one of the heads of the delegation and we reached a conclusion.
" YOUR ORGANIZATION DOESN'T NEED CONTENT BUT VOLUME"
It means They didn't need to many adverts and Content development but Avenues wherein they can drive Volume through sales. There was a definite purpose. Money had to come in, Brand visibility wasn't a problem.
So I went back, made researches, gathered a few materials and I started working. In two weeks, I brought out a well structured master piece to drive up volumes to roof and Give them free cheap publicity(Brand Visibility) that December. With accurate budgetary analysis, We set the plan in motion and began series of meetings and Phone calls, At the end of the day, It didn't pull through due to financial constraints.
Did I give up? No..I pushed further. By January 2016, The Board of directors of the organisation sent back the budget of the year(2016)of every department in the organization for streamlining and Restructuring so as to make spending very lean and Reasonable. I had to present another budget that will drive up for volume to the roof with same brand visibility Module. This time, The Budget was very very lean. I needed to make a name and less of money. They had cooperate Ambassadors who are very known celebrities in Nigeria so the Job was easier. I was connected directly with the head of that Division-An expatriate. I communicated with her effectively and she promised to look into it. At the end of the day,The board slashed the budget of every department by 18%.Mine was even captured at all. The budget for my own department of interest runs into hundreds of millions every year.
Fast Forward to 2017. After a terrible 2016 that led to Mass Redundancy due to the Recession which has led to a down turn in patronage.
I tuned to a television station recently and discovered after my investigations that This orrganization spent N16 million to create a one minute advert and N38 million to run the advert on some major television stations.
N54million for this? Jesus me!!
I was like...what? I thought the key target was driving volume over content, What am I seeing? They have been doing adverts but Not this sophisticated and High Budget Video. Their last high Budget Ad was in 2014
Why this waste? Had their fortune increased? Hell to No
Why was I turned down when I had the best of option for them?
At the end of the day the answer came in Efe's voice.."Who I be?"
Who I really sabi? Who's my father?
What is the hope for start ups in this country especially those who dared to swim with the sharks?
They clearly chose connection over Competence
Who I be?
*sorbs*
[OKAZU POWERS]
No automatic alt text available.

Comments

Popular Posts